Handouts from talks, posters presented, etc.
- Variation and change in the voice morphology of Indo-European reflexives. Variation and Contact in the Ancient Indo-European languages: between Linguistics and Philology, Pisa, April 19–20, 2018. Pisa_variation and change in IE reflexives
- “Low passives” and the inchoative-to-passive reanalysis in Greek and Sanskrit (Poster). NELS 48, University of Iceland, Reykjavík, Oct. 27–29, 2017. NELS 48 poster NELS 48 handout
- Two types of passive? Voice morphology and “low passives” in Greek and Sanskrit (Poster). Passives—A Cross-Linguistic Workshop, University of Vienna, Sept. 16–17, 2017. Vienna passives handout Vienna passives workshop poster
- Adventures in ablaut: Brugmann’s Law, analogy, and the hunt for o-grades in Indo-Iranian. Revised & extended version of my talks at the Cornell Department of Linguistics on April 20 & at the workshop The regularity principle in sound change: Approaching the Neogrammarian controversy in the 21st century, University of Cologne, July 20–21, 2017. At this point it’s pretty much a paper draft, and comments are very welcome! Brugmann’s Law
- Passive-aggressive in Indo-European. With Hannes A. Fellner. 36th East Coast Indo-European Conference, Cornell University, June 2–4, 2017. Fellner_Grestenberger_ECIEC 2017 Handout
- Avestan i-stems: form, function, problems. 227th Annual Meeting of the American Oriental Society, March 17–20, 2017, Los Angeles, (joint panel on Near East and South Asian Linguistics). AOS meeting_Avestan
- Two types of passive? Voice morphology and allomorphy in Classical Greek and Sanskrit, Carleton University School of Linguistics and Language Studies colloquium, Jan. 27, 2017. Carleton_two types of passive_27.1
- A voice allomorphy puzzle in the Classical Greek passive. Morphology in Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto (Mo-MOT 1), Carleton University, Ottawa, Nov. 18–20, 2016. Mo-MOT 1 Greek passives
- “Strict” adjacency and voice allomorphy in Classical Greek passives (Poster). NELS 47, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, Oct. 14–16, 2016. NELS 47 CG passives handoutNELS 47 poster CG passives
- Zur Ablautstufe medialer Wurzelaoriste im Griechischen. Zurück zur Wurzel – Struktur, Funktion und Semantik der Wurzel im Indogermanischen, 15th Fachtagung of the Society for Indo-European Studies, Vienna, Austria, Sept. 13–16, 2016. Fachtagung Wien_mediale Wurzelaoriste im Griechischen
- A “participle cycle”? The diachronic morphosyntax of Greek participles. 18th Diachronic Generative Syntax conference, Ghent, Belgium, June 29–July 1, 2016. DiGS18_slides
- On some eccentric i-substantivizations in Indo-European compounds. 35th East Coast Indo-European Conference, Athens, Georgia, June 6–8, 2016. ECIEC 35_i-stem compounds
- Internal affairs: Akzent-/Ablautklassen und Interne Derivation. With Hannes A. Fellner. Sanskrit und die SprachRevolution: 200 Jahre Indogermanistik, Berlin/Jena, May 17–20, 2016. Internal Affairs_handout This needs more work; comments welcome!
- Voice mismatches in non-finite contexts: the morphosyntax of deponent participles (Poster). WCCFL 34, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, April 29–May 1, 2016. WCCFL 34 handout WCCFL 34 poster
- Gender trouble: some puzzles in Greek nominal gender morphology, Indo-European from within: Explaining IE subphyla by themselves, Göttingen, March 1–3, 2016. Goettingen handout
- Misbehaving verbs: deponents, voice, and the properties of vP, Yale University, Department of Linguistics, Feb. 22, 2016. Yale_deponents_slides
- Participles and voice mismatches: deponency in non-finite contexts, UQAM Département de linguistique, Nov. 25, 2015. UQAM Nov. 25
- More span-conditioned allomorphy: voice morphology in Classical Greek (Poster). NELS 46, Concordia University, Montréal, Oct. 16–18, 2015. NELS handout NELS poster
- Gemeinsame Unterschiede und unterschiedliche Gemeinsamkeiten der hethitischen und tocharischen Nominalmorphologie. With Hannes A. Fellner. 100 Jahre Entzifferung des Hethitischen—Morphosyntaktische Kategorien in Sprachgeschichte und Forschung. Workshop of the Society for Indo-European Studies, Philipps-Universität Marburg, 21–23 Sept. 2015. Marburg_handout
- Deponency as reanalysis: a diachronic account of voice mismatches. 22nd International Conference on Historical Linguistics, Naples, 27–31 July, 2015. ICHL handout
- On “i-substantivizations” in Vedic nominal compounds. 16th World Sanskrit Conference, Bangkok, Thailand, June 28–July 2, 2015. WSC i-stems in Vedic compounds
- Diathesenunterschiede in Partizipialbildungen indogermanischer Deponentien. University of Vienna, Department of Linguistics, June 17, 2015. Diathesenunterschiede in Deponentien 17.6.
- Greek aorists and the “alphathematic” conjugation. 34th East Coast Indo-European Conference, University of Vienna, June 3–7, 2015. ECIEC 34_Greek
- Participles and voice revisited: The view from Indo-European deponents. Linguistic Colloquium, Concordia University, Oct. 24, 2014. LingColloquium_Oct24
- On the syntax of the participles of Indo-European deponent verbs. Workshop of the Society for Indo-European Studies: Verbal adjectives and participles in the Indo-European languages, Paris, École Pratique des Hautes Études & École Normale Supérieure, Sept. 24–26, 2014. Paris_IG handout
- Reconstructing proto-Indo-European deponents. 33rd East Coast Indo-European Conference, June 6–8, 2014, Virginia Tech. ECIEC handout_deponents
- Localizing Voice in bivalent voice systems: passive and middle in Sanskrit and Greek (Poster). GLOW 37, Brussels, April 2-4, 2014. GLOW handout
- Two voice mismatch puzzles in Sanskrit and Greek. MIT Syntax Square, March 4, 2014. Syntax square handout
- Deponents and feature mismatch. 88th Annual Meeting of the Linguistic Society of America, Minneapolis, January 2–5, 2014. LSA 2014_Deponents and feature mismatch
- “Split deponency” in proto-Indo-European. 25th Annual UCLA Indo-European Conference, Los Angeles, Oct. 25–26, 2013. WeCIEC 2013 handout_deponents
- Reconstructing proto-Indo-European deponents. GSAS Workshop in Indo-European and Historical Linguistics, Harvard University, Oct. 18, 2013. GSAS WS handout deponents
- The syntax of plural marking in German and English pseudo-partitives. 87th Annual Meeting of the Linguistic Society of America, Boston, January 3–6, 2013. pseudo-partitives LSA handout pseudo-partitives LSA poster
- Middle voice vs. reflexive pronouns: evidence from Rigvedic Sanskrit. 87th Annual Meeting of the Linguistic Society of America, Boston, January 3-6, 2013. Middle voice reflexives LSA handout Middle voice reflexives LSA poster
- The Greek and Latin verbal governing compounds in *-ā– and their prehistory. With Hannes A. Fellner. Etymology and the European Lexicon. 14th Fachtagung of the Society for Indo-European Studies, Copenhagen, Sept. 17–22, 2012. Kopenhagen_handout
- Did Vedic Sanskrit have anaphors? A closer look at svá-. Formal Approaches to South Asian Languages 2, MIT, March 17–18, 2012. FASAL handout
- Zur Funktion des Suffixes *-i– im Vedischen und Urindogermanischen. Workshop of the Society for Indo-European Studies: The Indo-European noun, Erlangen, Sept 14–16, 2011. Erlangen handout_-i- im Vedischen und Uridg.
- Why I? Indo-European *i-stems and the Vedic cákri-type. 22nd Annual UCLA Indo-European Conference, Nov. 5–6, 2010. WeCIEC_22_The Vedic cákri-type
- Why does I bother? Some synchronic and diachronic problems of the Vedic i-stems. GSAS Workshop in Indo-European and Historical Linguistics, Harvard University, Dec. 4, 2009.
- Zur internen Derivation: Die vedischen i-Stämme, 36th Annual Meeting of the Austrian Linguistic Society, University of Vienna, Dec. 5–8, 2008. I can’t find the handout for this, and it’s probably for the best.