Handouts from talks, posters presented, etc.
- Voice allomorphy and voice syncretism in Ancient and Modern Greek passives, BCGL 12: Suppletion, allomorphy, and syncretism, Brussels, Dec. 16–17, 2019.
- Cross-categorial syncretism: evidence from diminutives, with Dalina Kallulli. BCGL 12: Suppletion, allomorphy, and syncretism, Brussels, Dec. 16–17, 2019.
- Ancient Greek verbal morphology from a Modern (Greek) perspective, New ways of analyzing Ancient Greek (NWAAG^1), Göttingen, Dec. 13–14, 2019.
- Where’s Voice in (Ancient and Modern) Greek passives? Ulster University, School of Communication and Media, Nov. 4, 2019.
- The ín-group, 38th East Coast Indo-European Conference, University of Pennsylvania, June 21–23, 2019.
- Building unergatives 2.0. With Dalina Kallulli. Poster presented at GLOW 42, University of Oslo, May 7-11, 2019.
- Categori(c)al misperception. Poster presented at GLOW 42, University of Oslo, May 7-11, 2019.
- Reconstructing selectional properties of derivational morphology: case studies from the Indo-European verbal system. Presented at Recent Advances in Comparative Linguistic Reconstruction. SOAS, London, 26-27 March, 2019.
- The Indo-Iranian 3pl. aor. ending -anta and the thematic aorist. Presented at the 229th Meeting of the American Oriental Society, Chicago, IL, 15-18 March, 2019.
- Building unergatives: insights from diminutive verbs. With Dalina Kallulli. IGG 45, Università degli studi di Padova, 21-23 Feb., 2019.
- The final cut: Hittite iškallāri ‘splits, slices’, PIE *(s)k(w)elH ‘cut in half, split’, and root statives in Proto-Indo-European. 30th Annual UCLA Indo-European Conference, Los Angeles, November 9-10, 2018.
- The largesse of diminutives: suppressing the projection of roots. With Dalina Kallulli. Paper presented at NELS 49, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, Oct. 5-7, 2018.
- Reconstructing passive syntax in Proto-Indo-European. Presented at DiGS 20, University of York, 18-21 June 2018, Workshop on Syntax and Reconstruction
- Variation and change in the voice morphology of Indo-European reflexives. Variation and Contact in the Ancient Indo-European languages: between Linguistics and Philology, Pisa, April 19–20, 2018.
- “Low passives” and the inchoative-to-passive reanalysis in Greek and Sanskrit. Poster presented at NELS 48, University of Iceland, Reykjavík, Oct. 27–29, 2017.
- Two types of passive? Voice morphology and “low passives” in Greek and Sanskrit. Poster at Passives—A Cross-Linguistic Workshop, University of Vienna, Sept. 16–17, 2017.
- Adventures in ablaut: Brugmann’s Law, analogy, and the hunt for o-grades in Indo-Iranian. Revised & extended version of my talks at the Cornell Department of Linguistics on April 20 & at the workshop The regularity principle in sound change: Approaching the Neogrammarian controversy in the 21st century, University of Cologne, July 20–21, 2017. At this point it’s pretty much a paper draft, and comments are very welcome!
- Passive-aggressive in Indo-European. With Hannes Fellner. 36th East Coast Indo-European Conference, Cornell University, June 2–4, 2017.
- Avestan i-stems: form, function, problems. 227th Annual Meeting of the American Oriental Society, March 17–20, 2017, Los Angeles, (joint panel on Near East and South Asian Linguistics).
- Two types of passive? Voice morphology and allomorphy in Classical Greek and Sanskrit. Carleton University School of Linguistics and Language Studies colloquium, Jan. 27, 2017.
- A voice allomorphy puzzle in the Classical Greek passive. Morphology in Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto (Mo-MOT 1), Carleton University, Ottawa, Nov. 18–20, 2016.
- “Strict” adjacency and voice allomorphy in Classical Greek passives (Poster) NELS 47, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, Oct. 14–16, 2016.
- Zur Ablautstufe medialer Wurzelaoriste im Griechischen. Zurück zur Wurzel – Struktur, Funktion und Semantik der Wurzel im Indogermanischen, 15th Fachtagung of the Society for Indo-European Studies, Vienna, Austria, Sept. 13–16, 2016.
- A “participle cycle”? The diachronic morphosyntax of Greek participles. 18th Diachronic Generative Syntax conference, Ghent, Belgium, June 29–July 1, 2016.
- On some eccentric i-substantivizations in Indo-European compounds. 35th East Coast Indo-European Conference, Athens, Georgia, June 6–8, 2016.
- Internal affairs: Akzent-/Ablautklassen und Interne Derivation. With Hannes A. Fellner. Sanskrit und die SprachRevolution: 200 Jahre Indogermanistik, Berlin/Jena, May 17–20, 2016.
- This needs more work; comments welcome!
- Voice mismatches in non-finite contexts: the morphosyntax of deponent participles (Poster). WCCFL 34, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, April 29–May 1, 2016.
- Gender trouble: some puzzles in Greek nominal gender morphology, Indo-European from within: Explaining IE subphyla by themselves, Göttingen, March 1–3, 2016.
- Misbehaving verbs: deponents, voice, and the properties of vP, Yale University, Department of Linguistics, Feb. 22, 2016.
- Participles and voice mismatches: deponency in non-finite contexts, UQAM Département de linguistique, Nov. 25, 2015.
- More span-conditioned allomorphy: voice morphology in Classical Greek (Poster). NELS 46, Concordia University, Montréal, Oct. 16–18, 2015.
- Gemeinsame Unterschiede und unterschiedliche Gemeinsamkeiten der hethitischen und tocharischen Nominalmorphologie. With Hannes A. Fellner. 100 Jahre Entzifferung des Hethitischen—Morphosyntaktische Kategorien in Sprachgeschichte und Forschung. Workshop of the Society for Indo-European Studies, Philipps-Universität Marburg, 21–23 Sept. 2015.
- Deponency as reanalysis: a diachronic account of voice mismatches. 22nd International Conference on Historical Linguistics, Naples, 27–31 July, 2015.
- On “i-substantivizations” in Vedic nominal compounds. 16th World Sanskrit Conference, Bangkok, Thailand, June 28–July 2, 2015.
- Diathesenunterschiede in Partizipialbildungen indogermanischer Deponentien. University of Vienna, Department of Linguistics, June 17, 2015.
- Greek aorists and the “alphathematic” conjugation. 34th East Coast Indo-European Conference, University of Vienna, June 3–7, 2015.
- Participles and voice revisited: The view from Indo-European deponents. Linguistic Colloquium, Concordia University, Oct. 24, 2014.
- On the syntax of the participles of Indo-European deponent verbs. Workshop of the Society for Indo-European Studies: Verbal adjectives and participles in the Indo-European languages, Paris, École Pratique des Hautes Études & École Normale Supérieure, Sept. 24–26, 2014.
- Reconstructing proto-Indo-European deponents. 33rd East Coast Indo-European Conference, June 6–8, 2014, Virginia Tech.
- Localizing Voice in bivalent voice systems: passive and middle in Sanskrit and Greek (Poster). GLOW 37, Brussels, April 2-4, 2014.
- Two voice mismatch puzzles in Sanskrit and Greek. MIT Syntax Square, March 4, 2014.
- Deponents and feature mismatch. 88th Annual Meeting of the Linguistic Society of America, Minneapolis, January 2–5, 2014.
- “Split deponency” in proto-Indo-European. 25th Annual UCLA Indo-European Conference, Los Angeles, Oct. 25–26, 2013.
- Reconstructing proto-Indo-European deponents. GSAS Workshop in Indo-European and Historical Linguistics, Harvard University, Oct. 18, 2013.
- The syntax of plural marking in German and English pseudo-partitives. Poster. 87th Annual Meeting of the Linguistic Society of America, Boston, January 3–6, 2013.
- Middle voice vs. reflexive pronouns: evidence from Rigvedic Sanskrit. Poster. 87th Annual Meeting of the Linguistic Society of America, Boston, January 3-6, 2013.
- The Greek and Latin verbal governing compounds in *-ā- and their prehistory. With Hannes A. Fellner. Etymology and the European Lexicon. 14th Fachtagung of the Society for Indo-European Studies, Copenhagen, Sept. 17–22, 2012.
- Did Vedic Sanskrit have anaphors? A closer look at svá-. Formal Approaches to South Asian Languages 2, MIT, March 17–18, 2012.
- Zur Funktion des Suffixes *-i– im Vedischen und Urindogermanischen. Workshop of the Society for Indo-European Studies: The Indo-European noun, Erlangen, Sept 14–16, 2011.
- Why I? Indo-European *i-stems and the Vedic cákri-type. 22nd Annual UCLA Indo-European Conference, Nov. 5–6, 2010.
- Why does I bother? Some synchronic and diachronic problems of the Vedic i-stems. GSAS Workshop in Indo-European and Historical Linguistics, Harvard University, Dec. 4, 2009.
- Zur internen Derivation: Die vedischen i-Stämme, 36th Annual Meeting of the Austrian Linguistic Society, University of Vienna, Dec. 5–8, 2008.